One of the Best Online Creative Writing Programs
Focus on fiction, creative non-fiction, or poetry as you design your own curriculum and take advantage of workshops, craft classes, and literature classes.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Compose Your Best Work
Hone your writing skills in an area of your choice through the online Master of Fine Arts in Writing program from Lindenwood University. This program offers the ability to customize your degree to suit your interests by declaring an emphasis or taking courses in multiple genres. Focus on fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry.
Through our online MFA in Writing program, you will have the opportunity to participate in workshops, literature classes, and craft classes to build your skills and receive personalized feedback. Small classes help you grow in a supportive environment while learning from published writers. While some MFA coursework can be taken on-campus if preferred, there is no residency requirement for our fully online students.
Our online MFA in Writing program has been ranked as the No. 2 Best Online Creative Writing Degree Program by three outlets: BestColleges.com, TheBestSchools.org, and OnlineMasters.com.
Online MFA Accolades
A Curriculum Designed to Help You Succeed
Our diverse online MFA in Writing program allows you to explore a variety of writing styles and areas.
For the program, you will customize your curriculum by selecting 48 credit hours of courses in your interests. You can also choose a foundational emphasis area in fiction, poetry, or creative nonfiction. In addition, a graduate thesis course is required.Explore Curriculum
To apply to our online MFA in writing program, you must submit the following:
- Online application
- Current résumé
- Letter of intent, including a personal statement regarding your interest in the program and career goals
- For the MFA, this statement should describe why you would like to pursue the MFA degree and the role writing has played in your life
- Creative writing sample of 7–10 pages
- NOTE: The MFA program admission is selective based on the program director’s approval of this submitted creative writing sample
- Official undergraduate transcript(s), as well as official transcript(s) from any graduate school(s) attended with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- If GPA is lower, please discuss options with your enrollment counselor
What It’s Like to Study Online
Being an online student doesn’t mean that you will sacrifice access to the tools, resources, support, and community that you would have through a traditional on-campus program. In fact, you will still get the college experience — at an affordable price from the comfort of your home.
Find out more about what it’s like to study online at Lindenwood.Online Student Life
Cost to Attend
We strive to provide a high-quality online education at an affordable price. Our online MFA in Writing program is offered at just $520 per credit hour.
In addition, we offer the opportunity to transfer previously earned college credits, financial assistance, and U.S. military benefits.Full Tuition Details
- Write compelling works of creative writing in an area of your choosing
- Analyze writing to effectively provide valuable and constructive feedback
- Exhibit fundamental writing skills, including grammar basics, the mechanics of writing, and sentence-level editing
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the questions we are commonly asked.
You can complete the online MFA in Writing in 24 months.
Rather than helping you become licensed, the online MFA in Writing program provides you with the advanced skills you need to succeed as an author, editor, journalist, and more. Learn more about the professional outcomes of this program here.